In order to evaluate EOTech’s 512.A65 Holographic Weapon Sight, let us go back in time to understand its past. The saga starts off with the HUD or Heads up Display in the 1980s. Researchers from ERIM created a whole lot of technologies in the 1950s that eventually
paved the way for the development of the HUD. Presently these HUDs occupy over half the amount of the overall optics sales on weapons. The trick though was to create a technology that would be reliable, robust, affordable and also ensures that an image holds a point over time or holds zero. After EOTech came into being, the HUD EOTech sights’ commercial line was unveiled in 2000.
The Holographic Weapon Sight from EOTech prides itself on being one of the most rapid reticle to target acquisition system in the world. Since the 65 MOA ring was designed to obtain images much quicker than any single dot or solid image, the reticle is moved more rapidly on to the target. Also aiding in accuracy is the 1 MOA dot placed right in the middle of the reticle, something that the military swears by.
EOTech Sights – Plusses
- EOtech sights are designed in such a way that every single element of glass records the holographic reticle image. This essentially means that, regardless of the kind of damage the glass suffers, it will still be operational with its zero, point of aim and impact perfectly preserved.
- The parallax-free 0* magnification enables the shooter to engage targets with both eyes open.
- The FOV or the field of view with its huge window ensures that shooters have all round view and this is particularly helpful to the military and law enforcement agencies.
- Build: As with other EOTech’s products, the sight is of premium quality and extremely robust and hard wearing. The sight locks on tightly and does not get dislodged regardless of the kind of wear it undergoes and above all, it returns to zero post detachment and remount.
- Operation: For those looking for normal AA Battery power, rapidity and adaptability but not night vision potential, the EOTech 512 is a perfect choice. While running Rear BUS and in certain cases (depends on the weapon used) there might be hindrance while trying to access the rear operation buttons. The sights are designed to preserve power with auto turn off options post 4-8 hours of functioning from the last adjustment. It also includes indicators for low battery, a setting for auto power up to normal and an instant turn on feature. Easy to use up/down buttons aid in adjusting the brightness levels of the reticle and the same can be used for turning the system off.
- Characteristics: With the EOTech sights the FOV is two times that of a standard red dot and is also totally passive which means that it is impossible to detect the shooter as it does not emit any light. Its rapid target acquiring property has lead to an increase in its popularity and use among hunters and outdoorsman. The reticle is a 65 MOA circle with 1 MOA aiming dot. It is equipped with a AA Battery which can be either alkaline or lithium. The mounting bolt is regulated by a knob and does not require the aid of any external tools. It has a tough aluminum hood assembly and is compatible with 1” Picatinny (MIL-STD-1913) or Weaver Rail.
- Performance and Precision: The EOTech sights are capable of high level of precision and are also capable of acquiring targets in quick time. It is for this reason that these sights are preferred choices of the military, other law enforcement agencies and competitive shooters.
Build, Operation, Characteristics and Performance
EoTech’s 512 has quite a number of advantages over regular red dot sights, the major one being its brightness potential. EOTech’s superior design allows brighter images without the aid of lights and this is especially useful for after dusk or before dawn covert ops. Although, one might think that the sight is pricey ($439), it should be noted that one stands to gain great value for the money spent as the product itself is extremely durable and long lasting.
Dimensions: EOTECH 512.A65 HOLOGRAPHIC WEAPON SIGHT
- The optics is parallax free and uses Transmission holography and the optical surfaces have an anti glare coating. There is no night vision compatibility.
- It comes with a 1* magnification and unlimited eye relief.
- It is about 5.4” long, 1.8” wide and 2.25” in height.
- The sight weighs about 10.9 oz.
- AA Lithium batteries allow temperature range of -40 to 150 F and for other batteries it is between -20 and 140 F.
- The sight is waterproof for up to 10 feet and has fogproof internal optics.
- The Adjustment per click is about 0.5 MOA (1/2″ at 100 yards) and the adjustment range is +/- 40 MOA travel.
- Compatible with 1″ Picatinny (MIL-STD-1913) or Weaver rail mounts.
- Restoration to 0 is repeatable to 1 MOA after re-mounting.
- It includes a HUD window which is 1.20″ x 0.85″. The Front window is made of 1/8” solid glass and the rear window is made of a shatter resistant laminate which is 3/16” thick.
- The FOV (100 yards) is 30 yards (28m) at a 4″ eye relief.
- The brightness adjustment range is between 110,000 to 1 and has 20 settings for daylight.
- The Battery is 2x 1.5V AA and supports lithium, alkaline, or rechargeable options. Battery Life is about 1000 continuous hours for lithium at a normal setting of 12 and 600 hours with alkaline.
- It is equipped with an auto battery check indicator and an auto shutdown system at 8 hours which is programmable to 4 hours.